Sunday, June 28, 2009

Spiritual Formation

Dear Abbey Members and Friends:

The second tenet of our common Rule of Life is: "Study Scripture and pursue a specifically selected spiritual formation activity annually."

I have tried to study scripture on a regular basis on my own, but have been unsuccessful. One discipline that I have been more successful with is the spiritual formation part. I subscribe to Weavings which is a spiritual journal published 6 times a year and contains a number of short articles, poems, etc., written on a specific topic for each issue. The current issue is titled "Cling Always to God." This is a wonderful issue. I want to share one poem by Marilyn Chandler McEntyre, a regular contributor to the journal:

What to do in the darkness

Go slowly
Consent to it
But don't wallow in it
Know it as a place of germination
And growth
Remember the light
Take an outstretched hand if you find one
Exercise unused senses
Find the path by walking it
Practice trust
Watch for the dawn

I have come back to this poem several times now. There are parts that I find comforting [a place of germination; watch for the dawn] as well as those that are challenging [practice trust; take an outstretched hand]. I hope you will find this engaging to your soul as well.

Shalom and many blessings, George

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

George the poem is indeed beautiful and one that says a lot in few words (the best kind) so thank you for sharing it with us.

As to personal study I would be keen to hear more and if you have found things that 'do' work for you as this also is an area I find a challenge

george

Pastor Nick said...

Dear George:

I too found a need since 1996 for a structured format for reading the whole Bible. On the night of January 22 of that year, an early awakening at about 3 am began a movement of God that resulted in The Bible Through the Seasons: a Three-Year Journey with the Bible. http://biblethroughseasons.com

The three-year cycle used, hinged to the Lectionary, has enabled me to read through the Bible many times. I thought that this might be a resource for the members of your community.

I'm so grateful that we are on Twitter together!

Nick