Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Helping One Another

Dear Urban Abbey Members and Friends:

I started my new job with the Navy this week and it has been a whirlwind of emotions for me. I am excited at the opportunity to be back in the workforce and serve our country again. I am a bit sad as well. I thoroughly enjoyed being home and having the opportunity to be with Penny on a more extended basis. The ramp up to being productive in my new job is a bit like ‘drinking from a fire hose’…and a cause for worry of will I be up to the task.

Through all this, I realize how blessed I am. I have been surrounded by a loving wife who has encouraged and believes in me; I have been encouraged and supported by many of you, both by your prayers and by your presence. I am also blessed in my new work place by a supervisor and his deputy who have taken a great deal of time to help me get my bearings. This is to me a most wonderful example of a community caring for its members. Certainly in this Advent season of preparation we are called to look out for one another. The Christmas season is a great joy for most of us; but, for some, it can be a time of great sadness. Just as those who surrounded me kept their eyes (both physical and spiritual) on me and how I was doing. I believe we as a Community are called to be more vigilant of those around us. We need to offer our presence and be their spiritual anchor.

How can we be more vigilant an caring of others? I invite your thoughts and suggestions.

Shalom and many Christmas blessings, George

No comments: